Frequently Asked Questions
Questions About Buying and Selling
A REALTOR® knows …
- the current market and can help you set a realistic competitive price;
- the local home loan market and can help you decide on financing that’s best to expedite your sale;
- how to figure the approximate net proceeds from your sale based on types of loans, outstanding # loan balance and closing costs;
- where to find prospective buyers, and most important, qualified buyers table to afford your price range;
- how to take care of phone inquiries, make appointments, show your home, and follow up, so you # don’t have to;
- how to remain objective to buyer criticisms and counter-offers;
- how to familiarize you with contracts and closing procedures and is usually present at closing.
A REALTOR® helps you determine how much home you can actually afford and can often suggest additional ways to accrue the down payment and explain alternative financing methods. A REALTOR® can help you work out a realistic idea of the available homes, can evaluate them in terms of your needs and affordability, and does not waste your time on unsuitable homes. A REALTOR® can supply information on real estate values, taxes, utility costs, municipal services and facilities, and is aware of proposed zoning changes that could affect your decision to buy. A REALTOR® acts as the liaison between you and the seller in presenting offers and counter-offers until an agreement has been reached. A REALTOR® can tell you about financing, and what personal and financial data is needed when you apply for a loan. A REALTOR® can familiarize you with contracts and closing procedures in advance.
Questions About Becoming a Member
Click Here for step-by-step instructions on the membership process described on the “Join UPSTAR” page of this website.
If you do not sell real estate but provide a service that supports the real estate industry, you can join as an affiliate member. To join, please fill out an affiliate application, located on the Join UPSTAR page, and return it to the UPSTAR office with payment.
Questions About Membership Changes/Updates
You must complete a Reassignment of License Form. The original goes to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency and a copy must be sent to UPSTAR.
If you are an UPSTAR member, go to the Forms & Applications page in the Members Area and then click “Personal Biography Online Form” to update your personal information and photo. (Member Login Required)
Click the “Housing Stats” button from any page on the UPSTAR website for comprehensive reports on key indicators that measure the state of the housing market.
From the homepage of the UPSTAR website, click “Find a REALTOR®”. You can search for a member by first, last or office name.